Rilke: Ich lebe mein Leben in wachsenden Ringen - I live my life in ever-widening circles

Thanks to J. who introduced me to Rainier Maria Rilke's poetry. This is the one that touched me the most. The poet trying to grow. Poetic echo of the day - lines from Robert Browning's Andrea Del Sarto:

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp.
Or what's a heaven for?

Note: On the issue of copyright, I need to find poets who died before 1935.

First the original auf Deutsch and an English translation.

Ich lebe mein Leben in wachsenden Ringen

Ich lebe mein Leben in wachsenden Ringen,
die sich über die Dinge ziehn.
Ich werde den letzten vielleicht nicht vollbringen,
aber versuchen will ich ihn.

Ich kreise um Gott, um den uralten Turm,
und ich kreise jahrtausendelang;
und ich weiß noch nicht: bin ich ein Falke, ein Sturm
oder ein großer Gesang.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

And here is my attempt at a translation:

I live my life in ever-widening circles

I live my life in ever-widening circles
That draw themselves over all things
I may not perhaps complete the last of these things
but I want to make an attempt

I circle around God, around the most ancient tower,
And I circle for a thousand years
And yet I still don't know: Am I a falcon? a storm?
Or a much larger song.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ich lebe mein h-i-r-a-k fur ich bin Vater

Unknown said...

So I send you my favorit poem of german Poet Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg)

Wenn nicht mehr Zahlen und Figuren
Sind Schlüssel aller Kreaturen
Wenn die so singen oder küssen
Mehr als die Tiefgelehrten wissen
Wenn sich die Welt ins freie Leben
Und in die Welt zurück begeben
Wenn dann sich wieder Licht und Schatten
Zu echter Klarheit wieder gatten
Und man in Märchen und Gedichten
Erkennt die wahren Weltgeschichten
Dann fliegt vor einem geheimen Wort
Das ganze verkehrte Wesen fort

hirak said...

@Weisser Elephant

Danke! Das Gedicht von Novalis ist wirklich schoen. Hast du eine gute englishche Ubersetzung? oder soll ich selbst ubersetzen?

Thierry said...

It was wonderful to find a translation for this poem, I ike it very much myself! Thank you for your work! And are you familiar with the version involving Mario Adorf and Montserrat Caballé? That is how I discovered the poem... enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI3fOG9A70Y

hirak said...

@Thierry
Thanks. I hadn't heard the operatic version. Great to have that on there as well.
Danke!

Unknown said...

Just found your lovely translation. Here's mine along with my musical setting of the same. http://kurtknecht.blogspot.com/2011/11/rilke-song-cycle.html