M.C.C.

Midnight's children premiered this week in the US in Ann Arbor. I have read Rushdie's other stuff but not this, his most famous book. I cannot therefore comment on the book versus its dramatisation. I really liked the play. It was not merely a play but a mix of Hollywood ( with Paper Moon), Bollywood, Hinglish, play and more play on words.
I had the miss the opportunity of listening to Rushdie talk because I had a stupid lab to go to in the evening. I also learned later that I missed the entire series of films that were being shown in preparation of the event. They showed Tamas, Shatranj Ke Khiladi, Train to Pakistan, Bombay and more. Where was I?
Personally I dont really understand the last bit of the play and what he actually meant. It made me realise one thing that we need to accept out history and burden of it. We wish to deny a lot of things from our past.
I wish to differ from the most common interpretations of Midnight's Children is more about relationships and love rather than a 'fractured history of the Siamese twins born in August of 1947- Pakistan and India'. Mumtaz and her impotent first husband Nadir, the poet. Piya and her affair with Homi Cattrack. Saleem own love for his 'sister' Jamila. Him and his son 'of sorts' as the muddled genealogy of characters is explained. The book is deeper and so damned convoluted that it gives me a headache.
Is magical realism real? :)